Which statement accurately describes essential amino acids?
Ashish Pillai is saying They cannot be manufactured by an organism’s body. is correct answer
s from Kannur, India is saying They are the only amino acids required for life. is correct answer
Reez is saying They are the only amino acids required for life. is correct answer
Yamaha is saying They are the only amino acids to contain sulphur (sulfur). is correct answer
Pranav AS from Trivandrum, India is saying They are the only amino acids required for life. is correct answer
In a eukaryotic cell, where does the synthesis of DNA, RNA, and proteins occur? (ER = endoplasmic reticulum)
DNA RNA Proteins
- [A] nucleus nucleus nucleus
- [B] nucleus cytosol cytosol + ER
- [C] nucleus nucleus cytosol + ER
- [D] cytosol cytosol nucleus
- [E] cytosol nucleus cytosol + ER
Which of the following mechanisms allows evolutionary biologists to best predict how allele frequencies in a population will change over time?
- [A] Mutation
- [B] Natural selection
- [C] Horizontal gene transfer
- [D] Genetic drift
- [E] Non-random mating
During lactic acid fermentation, one molecule of glucose (left figure) is converted to two molecules of lactic acid (right figure). During this reaction, which carbon atoms in glucose (numbered 1 to 6) are reduced and which are oxidized?
- [A] Carbons 1 and 3 are reduced; carbons 4 and 6 are oxidized.
- [B] Carbons 2 and 5 are reduced; carbons 1 and 6 are oxidized.
- [C] Carbons 1 and 6 are reduced; carbons 3 and 4 are oxidized.
- [D] Carbons 3 and 4 are reduced; carbons 2 and 5 are oxidized.
- [E] Carbons 3 and 4 are reduced; carbons 1 and 6 are oxidized.
A botanist wants to breed a new variety of daisy with orange flowers. She crosses a yellow variety with a red variety. She knows that the daisy with yellow petals contains a dominant yellow petal allele and a recessive white petal allele. In which scenario is it possible to obtain an orange flower?
- [A] Red petals have incomplete dominance to yellow petals and are dominant to white petals.
- [B] Red petals have incomplete dominance to white petals and are recessive to yellow petals.
- [C] Red petals are dominant to yellow petals and white petals.
- [D] Red petals are dominant to yellow petals and co-dominant to white petals.
- [E] Red petals are recessive to yellow petals and dominant to white petals.
The spontaneous self-assembly of phospholipids in an aqueous environment are shown at right. What is the most important contributor to this spontaneous assembly?
- [A] Hydrogen bonding of water.
- [B] Strong hydrophobic interactions between the hydrophobic tails.
- [C] Decreased entropy of lipids.
- [D] Hydrogen bonding and ionic interactions between the phospholipid head groups.
- [E] Increased entropy of water.