Daily Current Affairs
: August 11th, 2017
Day Wise Current Affairs Quiz Questions and Answers on August 11th, 2017
1. Which bank on August 10, 2017 launched two new digital services for online payments?
Answer: A. Canara
Canara Bank unveiled two new digital services for online payments. Bharat QR (Quick Response) is for payment settlement at merchant locations and Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) is an integrated bill payment system for net banking customers. The service product rides on VISA/MasterCard/RuPay cards and holders need not divulge card information to merchants.
2. The government on August 10, 2017 launched the Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) as part of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM). The program will be implemented in ______ Blocks in the country on pilot basis.
Answer: D. 250
The Government of India has decided to launch a new sub-scheme named Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY) as part of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM). The Self Help Groups under DAY-NRLM will operate road transport service in backward areas. AGEY will be initially implemented in 250 Blocks in the country on pilot basis with each Block provided upto 6 vehicles to operate the transport services.
3. The government on August 10, 2017 introduced the Code on Wages Bill. It will combine how many laws?
Answer: B. 4
The government introduced in the Lok Sabha ‘The Code on Wages’ bill which seeks to empower the Centre to fix a “universal minimum wage” aimed to benefit over 40 crore unorganised sector workers. The bill seeks to amalgamate four laws — Payment of Wages Act 1936, Minimum Wages Act 1948, Payment of Bonus Act 1965 and Equal Remuneration Act 1976.
4. Vijay Nambisan won the 1988 Indian Poetry Award for the poem, ________.
Answer: E. Madras Central
Vijay Nambisan won the award for the poem "Madras Central"., becoming the first person to do so. The Poetry Society (India) was formed in July 1984 at New Delhi as a voluntary association to promote Indian poetry and to look after the interests of Indian Poets. Mr. Nambisan passed away on August 11, 2017.
5. Which State government on August 10, 2017 launched the Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra?
Answer: B. Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh Government has launched a new awareness drive called Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra.The drive will be focusing on cleanliness along the banks of Ganga river and maintain hygiene.The drive has been organised by Uttar Pradesh Homeguard volunteers and will help in spreading awareness in about 25 districts situated on the banks of river Ganga in the state.
6. National Deworming Day was first observed in which year?
Answer: E. 2015
The second round of National Deworming Day is observed between 10th of August to 23rd August in 33 States and Union Territories to tackle worm Infections, targeting more than 11 crore children.The program was launched in 2015. In this drive, the children will be administered the chewable deworming tablet, Albendazole 400 mg tablet.
7. When is World Bio-Fuel Day observed?
Answer: A. August 10
The International Biodiesel Day (or World Bio-fuel Day) is observed every year on August 10 to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels.On this day in 1893, Sir Rudalph Diesel (inventor of the diesel engine) for the first time successfully ran mechanical engine with Peanut Oil.The Indian government announced various schemes to promote non-fossil fuels.
8. Who won the gold medal at the 2017 World Championships in Athletics in 200 metres category?
Answer: D. Ramil Guliyev
Turkey's Ramil Guliyev won the gold medal, Wayde van Niekerk won the silver and Jereem Richards won the bronze. The 2017 World Championships in Athletics is being held in London.
9. Researchers from the University of California, Santa Cruz on August 10, 2017 discovered four earth-size planets in which constellation?
Answer: D. tau Ceti
Researchers from the University of California, Santa Cruz have identified four Earth-sized planets in orbit around the closest Sun-like star to the Solar System, tau Ceti. The star is slightly smaller than the Sun, and less active, and is about 12 light years away. The planets were discovered by improving the methods used to observe slight wobbles in tau Ceti and using noise reduction tools to eliminate wobbles caused by the movement of the stellar matter on the surface of the star.
10. Ruth Pfau also known as "Mother Teresa of Pakistan" passed away on 10 August, 2017. She was originally from which country?
Answer: D. Germany
Sister Dr Ruth Katherina Martha Pfau (9 September 1929 – 10 August 2017) was a German-Pakistani physician and nun of the Society of Daughters of the Heart of Mary. She devoted nearly 50 years of her life to fighting leprosy in Pakistan. The nun founded the Marie Adelaide Leprosy Centre in Karachi in 1962 and later set up its branches in all provinces of Pakistan, including Gilgit-Baltistan, and treated over 50,000 families.