: Operating System
Operating System is the main function-able part of our computer system. The operating system multiple choice questions and answers are discussed as below along with their explanations as necessary.
1. Round robin scheduling is essentially the preemptive version of ________ ?
Answer: A. FIFO
Round-robin (RR) is one of the simplest scheduling algorithms for processes in an operating system.The name of the algorithm comes from the round-robin principle known from other fields, where each person takes an equal share of something in turn.
Answer: A. when the page is not in the memory
A page fault (sometimes #pf or pf) is a trap to the software raised by the hardware when a program accesses a page that is mapped in the virtual address space, but not loaded in physical memory.
3. Which of the following will determine your choice of systems software for your computer?
Answer: D. Both 1 and 3
The choice of the software should be compatible with the hardware and should not be expensive enough.
Answer: B. It is a command interpreter
A Shell is the command line interpreter that provides the traditional user interface for the UNIX operating system. Users direct the operation of the computer by entering commands as text for a command line interpreter to execute or by creating text scripts of one or more such commands.
5. Routine is not loaded until it is called. All routines are kept on disk in a relocatable load format. The main program is loaded into memory & is executed. This type of loading is called... ?
Answer: C. Dynamic linking
Dynamic linking provides the facility to load or unload routines at runtime.
6. In the blocked state ?
Answer: A. the processes waiting for I/O are found
All the processes that are waiting for the completion of some event such as I/O operation or a signal are in Blocked state.
7. What is the memory from 1K - 640K called ?
Answer: D. Conventional Memory
conventional memory, also called base memory
8. Virtual memory is ..... ?
Answer: C. An illusion of extremely large main memory
Virtual memory allows a program to be designed as though there is only one kind of memory, "virtual" memory, which behaves like directly addressable read/write memory (RAM).
9. Which is not the state of the process ?
Answer: D. Privileged
The five states of process are:Create , waiting, running, blocked, terminated
10. The number of processes completed per unit time is known as.... ?
Answer: B. Throughput
The amount of data transferred from one place to another or processed in a specified amount of time is called throughput.